Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Busiest Weekend Ever

Friday morning Mrs. Fickle and I flew back to Minnesota for a quick weekend. Our flight to MN involved a 5-hour layover in Milwaukee between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. We killed some time eating breakfast, and rummaging through a bookstore. We voluntarily went out of the boarding area so that we could kill time going back through security. We watched some of the news coverage of McCain's VP announcement, and then settled in for a couple episodes of Arrested Development. We had brough a couple of movies, but ultimately we'd killed enough time that we couldn't even fit them in after we sat down to watch them. So instead we picked AD. The layover wasn't nearly as bad as we feared it would be, and all-in-all it was certainly worth the cost (it would have been significantly more to have a shorter layover).
We were picked up at the airport by my brother and his new wife. They took us almost directly to the Minnesota State Fair. I hadn't been to the Fair in at least 5 years, and it was terrific to be back. The first thing we saw was the cows. And then the biggest pig in the state. And then we had cheese curds and hotdish on a stick. And then milk shakes at the dairy barn as we watched a dairy princess get her head carved in butter. And a short time later, mini-donuts and giant pickles. There was probably some other food in there too, but my memory is clogged with fat, so it isn't working properly.

I was excited to see one of my favorite D.J.'s playing music for a little kids' "dance party" at the fair. I routinely listen to The Current online, and so it was great to get to experience a little bit of it up close and personal. By the way, for anyone who ever has approved of my taste in music, The Current comes highly recommended. It has great music, and it's public radio, so you're a good person, just for listening.

At the Fair I also noted, once again, that the Democrats were charging for their promotional materials. The Republicans were instead giving it away. I can't imagine that this is a good strategy, and if the Democrats lose this fall, I think we'll all know why.
Friday night we hung out with my brother, my sister, and their spouses (and my nephew). We played a bunch of Wii, and had a great time. It's things like this we miss out on, so it was great to be a part of it.

Saturday morning my sister and I went shopping for gifts for our Godson. Then Mrs. Fickle and I ran a bunch of errands, the most exciting of which was purchasing a new digital SLR. We went with a Sony (which used to be Minolta), and got two different lenses, an 18-75 mm and a 75-300 mm. I absolutely love my new toy.
Saturday night was baptism. I've never been a Godfather before, and I was extremely honored to be asked.

During the baptismal ceremony, when the priest asked if we rejected Satan, and all his evil works, etc. all I could picture was that scene at the end of the Godfather, with all of Corleone enemies being offed. I meant it when I said I would do my best to help raise my godson in the Catholic faith, and to that end I didn't have the kid's father whacked. I still don't want Kay asking me about my business though.

I found some quality gifts to give to my godson. I had received a large, brightly-colored wooden rosary at my baptism, and I was able to find another one to pass on. I also found Bible building blocks. I was going to give him an actual Bible, but he's a Catholic, so you know he probably wouldn't read it.
On Sunday we picked up Mrs. Fickle's sister at college (she's a freshman at the U of M) and I drove them both to their sister's baby shower. Then I went home, hitched a ride with a friend, and made the two-hour trip south to the wedding of one of my best friends. I was asked to take some pictures, and I did my best to get some quality shots. My new camera was perfect for the task, and I had a lot of fun using it. So even though not all of my pictures are brilliant, at least I had a good time.

It was a wonderful day. Mrs. Fickle got a ride down and joined us for the reception, and I was able to catch up with a bunch of friends from college that I haven't seen in ages. There's a core group of about 8 guys (give or take) who hung out all the time at Saint John's, and we're all still very close. We don't get to see each other often enough, but when we do we're able to jump right back into the way it was in college.

I really miss the guys.

The wedding was beautiful, the reception was a blast, I couldn't be happier for the groom, the bride is a lucky woman, and the day couldn't have been much better.
We came home exhausted, fell instantly asleep, and woke up early the next morning for our flight back to D.C. We squeezed all of this in (and more!) in under 72 hours. Pretty darn good.

Can't you come over, watch a movie with your friends now?
Or will you fly away before we see the end now?


patric said...

for me, the best part when you knocked over the lamp while talking and mrs. fickle caught it and replaced it without breaking stride. i mean, it's like she's used it. the conversation simply _flowed_.

empeterson said...

Don't worry about missing stuff-we live close and still miss out on most things. No one ever invites us anymore. It's sad.